Sunday, November 15, 2015

Home made dinner

Today I gave my KitchenAid stand mixer a workout.  First I made bread, trying out a new recipe from the interwebs.  It's a basic white bread, but has a great balance of density and airiness, with a nice texture.  I think the recipe is a good place to start, but next time I'll add some whole wheat flour because I'm not really much of a fan of white bread.

Bread!

Then, since it was SNOWING,

First snow in the yard this winter!

I decided to make pasta.  I had 22 eggs that a friend had given me a little while ago (from her own chickens), and I knew that there was no way that we would be able to eat them all in time unless I made something with them, considering that Emma doesn't like eggs unless they're hidden in something and she can't detect any cooked-egg texture.

So I took 4 eggs and made a double batch of plain narrow linguine with just white flour, which works out to about 8 servings for us.  The KitchenAid pasta roller attachments are just so slick!

Pasta!

That was so fun that I took 6 more eggs and made a triple batch of narrow linguine with half semolina flour and half white flour.

Pasta pasta pasta

Those 10 eggs gave me about 20 servings of pasta.  I put 18 of them in the dehydrator, and cooked two of the semolina bundles for dinner (and had a bit left over, so that "two serving" portion was really more like three).

Home made pasta, home grown and canned tomato sauce, home made bread, and grocery store frozen peas that I dehydrated in August 2014.

Home made pasta, home grown tomato sauce, home made bread.

Yum.

As Emma was eating her pasta, I was astonished and a little taken aback to look over and see that she was actually teary.  I asked her what was wrong, and she said that she couldn't believe that we made all these things ourselves, and the pasta and sauce just tasted so good.

If that isn't a proud moment, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been thinking about a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid... I really want to make my own pasta but have drug my feet because i'm just not sure what to buy regarding equipment. now that you've used your attachment, maybe we can chat about it to help me decide!

while i don't get teary, i know the feeling that emma had. my first garden had me feeling like that so often. can't wait to see what you get into next summer!

Anne said...

You are an inspiration! I used to make a lot more of my own food than I do now, but as my garden becomes more productive, perhaps I'll be more motivated. It is so wonderful to eat your own food. AND it tastes so much better than what you buy in a store. Good job!